This episode is with insider researcher Khairunnisa, who is a PhD student at University of Hawai’i researching variation and politeness strategies in her own language, Sasak (Lombok, eastern Indonesia). Khairunnisa is a recipient of the prestigious Fulbright Fellowshipm and has a Master’s degree in Applied Linguistics from IKIP Mataram. In this episode, Khairunnisa discusses how working as an insider researcher influences her research methods, and how she manages the challenges of adhering to expected societal norms in her own community.
Things mentioned in this episode:
- Sasak on Wikipedia
- OLAC resources in and about the Sasak language
- Language Documentation Training Center at UH
- Ngenó-Ngené variety of Sasak (Glottolog)
- Dialect variation in the voice system of Sasak: when is a nasal-verb not a nasal-verb? (Austin, 2012)
- For more information about Ampenan-Sasak, see Khairunnisa’s paper: CONVERSATION BETWEEN SASAK SPEAKERS IN CULTURAL CONTEXT (Khairunnisa, 2017)